World Cup '98
Well, it's all over but the shouting, which carried on through Bastille Day. Brazil failed to score a goal for two, count 'em, two World Cups, and this time they forgot to bring some defense as well. France wasn't my favorite, but they played like winners, attacking from the first minute, and posting a 3-0 score that left no doubt who deserved to win.
Here's my short list of things we can omit from future contests:
- Pulling on each others' clothing. Maybe tearaway shirts and shorts would help.
- The big dives. Give more cautions.
- The complaining about Bilic's acting after Blanc punched him. Sure it was a dive, but Blanc punched him, even if with an open hand. He deserved ejection. Give Bilic a caution, too, for being an ass.
- The "no commercials" commercials taking up a third of the screen. Do you really think football fans need to be reminded about Sunday and Monday night football, for God's sake?
- The little "tee it up a yard further" bullshit right before the free kick.
- The delaying obstruction before the free kick. FIFA rewrote the rules to stop it, but the referees still wave their hands like whining mamas. Give a caution! and stop flailing. And give it to the twit standing within 10 yards behind the ball, too.
- The disappearing injury. If he doesn't get up, bring the stretcher. If the stretcher comes out, the injured player gets 5 minutes rest and rehabilitation, no excuses.
What are yours?